November 15, 2012

"Blood Line Zero": the most challenging so far

Of all the stories I've written so far in this series, story 4 -- "Blood Line Zero" -- has been the most challenging.

Why?

A few reasons:

Blood Line ZeroFirst, this series, as a whole, is challenging to write because it's told entirely from Hope's point of view. That means that unless she sees, hears, tastes, smells or touches something, it can't be in the story. We read her thoughts, and hers alone.

Another interesting aspect is that each story is told in the present tense. It's all happening right in this very moment. If anything is written in the past tense, it must be in the context of Hope remembering something.

So why has "Blood Line Zero" been challenging, in particular?

I wanted to reveal a major plot point in the thriller/mystery aspect of the series. Figuring out how to do that, in a way that was consistent with Hope's character, took quite a bit of effort.

I won't give away the ending of this story, of course, but I rewrote it five times -- and I stand by the decision I made. It will push the plot, and Hope, to new lengths in story 5.

The Pandora Chronicles will have at least a total of 7 episodes. So with story 4, "Blood Line Zero," we're about at the halfway point or just past it.

There's no turning back now: not for Hope, nor for me, not for you.

It will be published soon. The editor is giving my rewrites one more once-over before I hit "publish." Want to know the second it's on Amazon Kindle? Provide your email in the sign-up form on this web page. I promise, no spam -- just announcements of new stories by me. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment