November 24, 2012

"Life of Pi": I am the tiger


What a wonderful movie experience this was: miraculous, beautiful, thought-provoking, involving.

"Life of Pi" is so visually stunning, I want to dream about it every night for the rest of my life. I'm totally serious.

While I do go to the movies regularly, I don't often recommend them. I do recommend "Life of Pi," preferably seen in a theater and with 3D (and I normally can't stand 3D, by the way).

If you haven't read the novel, as I hadn't, I won't give anything away here. All I will say is that the movie must be approached from the part of yourself that hasn't fallen victim to cynicism. With everything that's going on in the world, it's easy for us to forget how amazing life can really be. Even when things are bleak, we can find a light somewhere, somehow.

There was a point when I was watching the movie where I truly felt a connection to what was happening onscreen. The young man is facing a life-or-death situation, over which he has virtually no control. Everything is stacked against him.

I've been in that situation, myself. Like the young man, I lost everything -- everything except the essence of my "self," the part of me that can withstand such a loss and continue to battle for whatever remains of my life.

I still fight this battle every day, and it's in my fiction writing that I've found a renewed sense of who I am and what I might contribute to this world. It may be a small contribution, but it's one that I can make.

Seeing this life-or-death struggle played out in such a visually magnificent way was very moving to me.  Because I feel that tiger spirit within myself.

No, that's not quite right.

I don't just feel the tiger spirit. I am the tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment